This event is open to all High Schools in upper Northeast Tennessee.
Each participating school will be assigned a builder sponsor that will act as a mentor and may visit the classroom, as needed, to talk to the students and answer questions.
Prizes will be awarded following the criteria set under the event’s “Rules and Regulations”. The number of prizes awarded will be determined by the number of school’s participating with the top prize to be $2,000.
The materials money, prize money, and item auction money are for the participating class and are not to be used for anything other than this classroom.
Each student will receive an official Battle of the Build t-shirt. Students are to wear these shirts to the competition during judging.
Rules & Regulations
- Only one (1) entry, per program, is allowed and shall be built with entire class participation. Entry must be completed entirely “in-house” by the available departments of the specific school(s).
- This year we are incorporating the theme: “Outdoor Living”. Each entry must be something that can be used in an outdoor living area. Examples include, but are not limited to, grills, swings, firepits, chairs, tables, outdoor games, playsets, etc.
- Each program wishing to participate shall submit an entry form to Johnson City Area Home Builders Association by mail or in person at 207 N. Boone St, Suite 12, Johnson City, TN 37604 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline to submit entry form is January 25th.
- There are no entry fees associated with the competition.
- Johnson City Area Home Builders Association or any of its members will not be held liable for any incident pertaining to the Battle of the Build. Examples of such incidents include, but are not limited to, delays, cancellation or postponement of the competition, theft or loss of property, actions by others that are beyond our control, liability of any person or student participating in the competition. All minors should be accompanied by an adult at all times while on Northeast State Campus.
- Setup time for your entry will be from 10:00am until 8:00pm on Friday, March 24th. Please remember that classes will be in session during the setup time. Do your best to keep the noise to a minimum while inside the building. The use of loud power tools will be prohibited inside the building. The event will start promptly at 9:00am and end at approximately 5:00om on Saturday, March 24th. You will be required to have your entry ready to present to the judge by 9:00am on the morning of March 25.
- Instructors agree (unless prior approval is given) to leave entry on display until the end of the day on Thursday, March 31. Northeast State has requested that we give students, staff, faculty, and guests time to view the entries for approximately 1 week after the event. The project may be removed between 8:00am and 9:00pm on March 31. Each school program shall be responsible for setup and removal of its entry.
- Because of the space restrictions of our facility this year, your entry must comply with BOTH of the following rules: (1) Whatever you make (in part or in whole) must be able to fit through a 5′ wide x 7′ tall opening and (2) your project, presenting students, decorations, and presentation materials must fit in the 12′ X 15′ space allocated to your school.
- Each school is required to clean up after setup, during the event and after removal of the entry.
- Each school must take all necessary precautions to avoid damaging the beautiful polished concrete floors in the TEC building. If your entry, presentation material, or decorations could potentially scratch the floor, please provide your own protective barrier.
- Once the entry form is signed, the $500 materials fee will be distributed to the school/program. At minimum, each school/program must spend the $500 materials fee for the actual materials used to build the project. In addition to the $500 materials fee, each school/program is allowed outside donations of materials up to $3,000, the value of which is determined by the fair market value of the donated items. The $3,000 cannot be cash, but rather materials designated solely for the project being entered into the 2023 Battle of the Build. The JCAHBA reserves the right to request receipts for materials and a full disclosure of all donors for verification of compliance with this regulation.
- A. Judging for each entry will be based on overall presentation, build quality, finish quality, creativity, and complexity of the build. Each category is judged on a 100-point scale with 100 being the highest score possible.
* Points will be deducted for any work done by a third-party or resource not provided by the specific program and/or school.
** All judging will be strictly based on the entry and is un-biased toward any program and/or school.
*** All judging scores are the opinion of the judges and are final
**** There may be a possibility that we combine some of the judging categories this year. This depends mostly on availability of the judges. If we do, you will be notified by email. The only thing that will change in this case will be the total cumulative score, I.e., if there are 4 categories rather than 5, the total cumulative score will be 400.
B. The Popular vote (or public vote) is its own category and will be accounted for by counting all likes and shares on the Battle of the Build Facebook page. Whichever team gets the most likes and shares will win that category.
C. The Chairman’s Choice Award; think of this as the “Best in Show” award. The Chairman of the Board will make this determination at his or her own discretion.
D. The Builders’ Choice Award will be voted on by the members of Johnson City Area Home Builders Association.
- If any contestant engages in conduct viewed by the Battle of the Committee to be “unsportsmanlike”, then the contestant(s) will be permanently disqualified from the contest. Anyone representing their school and/or program shall conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times. “Anyone” is defined as student, parent or guardian of student, siblings, instructors, teachers, etc.
**The battle of the Build Committee reserves the right to modify, delete and/or add to the rules and regulations. In the event of a change, you will be notified by email with the email provided to us. We appreciate your patience as we work to bring this program to life in 2023.