This event is open to all High Schools in upper Northeast Tennessee.
Each participating school will be assigned a builder sponsor and will receive $500 to the classroom for materials and tools. The builder sponsor will act as a mentor and may visit the classroom, as needed, to talk to the students and answer questions.
Although the contract must be signed and back to Johnson City Area HBA before October 31, we encourage anyone interested to acknowledge a commitment to this event in writing as soon as possible so we may ensure enough sponsors are secured.
Prizes will be awarded following the criteria set under the event’s “Rules and Regulations”. The number of prizes awarded will be determined by the number of school’s participating with the top prize to be $1000.
The materials money, prize money, and item auction money is for the participating class and is not to be used for anything other than this classroom. The person who buys the completed project will make their check to the appropriate school and give it to Johnson City Area Home Builders Association at the conclusion of the silent auction. The builder sponsor/mentor for the school will present the silent auction check and the prize money check to the classroom students and teacher.
Each student will receive a t-shirt in their school color with the builder sponsor listed on the shirt. Students are to wear these shirts to the competition awards ceremony held on Sunday of the Home Show.
*** All participating students are encouraged to be in attendance as much as possible during the Show to talk about their project.
Rules & Regulations
- Only one (1) entry, per program allowed and shall be built entirely by student participation. Entry must be completed entirely “in-house” by the available departments of the specific school(s).
- Each program wishing to participate shall submit an entry form to Johnson City Area Home Builders Association by mail or in person at 207 N. Boone St, Suite 12, Johnson City, TN 37604 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline to submit entry form for 2020 is October 31, 2019.
- There are no entry fees associated with the Competition.
- Johnson City Area Home Builders Association or any of its members will not be held liable for any incident pertaining to the Home and Garden Show or the Competition. Examples of such incidents include but are not limited to delays, cancellation or postponement of the Show or Competition, theft or loss of property, actions by others that are beyond our control, liability of any person or student participating in the Show or Competition.
- Each entry will need to be delivered and set up in the competition area located inside the ETSU Mini Dome. Entries may be brought in Wednesday, February 19 from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm, Thursday, February 20 from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm, and Friday, February 21 from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm. We allow exhibitors and Battle entries to drive into the ETSU Mini Dome to deliver projects and supplies on Wednesday, February 19 and Thursday, February 20 ONLY. If you arrive on Friday, you will have to pull into the unloading area in between the parking garage and the Mini Dome and carry everything inside. ALL set up MUST be completed by the time the show opens on Friday, February 21 at 4:00 pm. Each school program shall be responsible for delivery, setup, and removal of their entry.
- Banners or signs will be required for each entry to designate and identify the school. Dimensions of banners or signs shall not exceed 6’w x 3’ h and not be obtrusive or take away from other entries, exhibits or Show vendors. You may use more than one sign where necessary.
- Each entry shall not exceed 10’w x 10’h x 10’ d.
- a. Judging for each entry will be based on overall presentation, build quality, finish quality, creativity, and complexity of the build. Each category is judged on a 100-point scale with 100 being the highest score possible.
* Points will be deducted for any work done by a third-party or resource not provided by the specific program and/or school.
** All judging will be strictly based on the entry and is un-biased toward any program and/or school.
*** All judging scores are the opinion of the judges and are final.
b. This year the Popular vote (or public vote) category will be awarded separately and will be accounted for by counting all ballots placed in the voting box at the entrance of the Battle Zone and all likes and shares from Facebook. An authorized representative of JCAHBA will be responsible for accepting all ballot slips from attendees to minimize “stuffing” of the ballot box. Points will be awarded based on number of votes vs. number of schools participating and will be on a 100-point scale. The popular vote will end at 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 23rd.
c. JCAHBA is proud to introduce the Chairman’s Choice Award; think of this as the “Best in Show” award. The Chairman of the Board will make this determination at his or her own discretion before the judging process.
- By entering the competition, you agree to allow the entry piece to be silent auctioned during a designated time period of the Home & Outdoor Show. All money that is earned on each entry will go directly back to the school or program that made the entry. If the winning bidder is unable to pay in cash and/or remove the project prior to 12:00 pm on Monday, February 24 then the program and/or school will be responsible for the removal of the entry item and JCAHBA Staff will assist in connecting the winning bidder to the appropriate instructor for pickup scheduling.
- If any contestant engages in conduct viewed by the Home Show Committee to be “un-sportsman like”, then the contestant will be permanently disqualified from the Contest. Anyone representing their school shall conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times. “Anyone” is defined as student, parent or guardian of student, siblings, teachers, etc.