This event is open to all Junior High and High Schools within Carter, Johnson, Unicoi, and Washington Counties. For any school interested outside of the 4 counties, please contact Lisa Luster (423) 282-2561.
Each participating school will be assigned a builder sponsor and will receive $500 to the classroom for materials and tools. The builder sponsor will act as a mentor and may visit the classroom, as needed, to talk to the students and answer questions.
Although the contract must be signed and back to Johnson City Area HBA before Christmas break, we encourage anyone interested to acknowledge a commitment to this event in writing as soon as possible so we may ensure enough sponsors are secured.
Prizes will be awarded following the criteria set under the event’s “Rules and Regulations”. The number of prizes awarded will be determined by the number of school’s participating with the top prize to be $1000.
The materials money, prize money, and item auction money is for the participating class and is not to be used for anything other than this classroom. The person who buys the completed project will make their check to the appropriate school and give it to Johnson City Area Home Builders Association at the conclusion of the silent auction. The builder sponsor/mentor for the school will present the silent auction check and the prize money check to the classroom students and teacher.
Each student will receive a t-shirt in their school color with the builder sponsor listed on the shirt. Students are to wear these shirts to the competition awards ceremony held on Sunday of the Home Show.
*** All participating students are encouraged to be in attendance as much as possible during the Show to talk about their project.
Rules & Regulations
- Only one (1) entry, per school allowed and shall be built with entire class participation. Entry must be completed entirely “in-house” by the available departments of the specific school.
- Each school wishing to participate shall submit an entry form to Johnson City Area Home Builders Association by mail or in person at 207 N. Boone St, Suite 12, Johnson City, TN 37604 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline to submit entry form is December 15, 2017.
- There are no entry fees associated with the Competition. However, each participating school will be required to fill out a contract for entry to the Home and Garden Show where the competition will be taking place.
- The Johnson City Area Home Builders Association or any of its members will not be held liable for any incident pertaining to the Home and Garden Show or the Competition. Examples of such incidents include but are not limited to delays, cancellation or postponement of the Show or Competition, theft or loss of property, actions by others that are beyond our control, liability of any person or student participating in the Show or Competition.
- Each entry will need to be delivered and set up at the Competition location, ETSU Mini Dome, between 8:00AM-12:00PM on Friday, February 16, 2018. Early entry is available if needed after 5:00 PM on Thursday, February 15, 2018 during the Show setup times. Each school shall be responsible for delivery and setup of their entry.
- Banners or signs will be required for each entry to designate and identify the school. Dimensions of banners or signs shall not exceed 6’w x 3’ h and not be obtrusive or take away from other entries, exhibits or Show vendors.
- Each entry shall not exceed 6’w x 8’h x 6’ d.
- Judging for each entry will be based on overall presentation, quality of the build, finish quality, creativity and complexity of the build. Each category is judged on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest score possible. Points will be deducted for any work done by a third-party or resource not provided by the specific school. All judging will be strictly based on the entry and un-biased toward any school. All judging scores are final.
- By entering the Competition, you agree to allow the entry piece to be silent auctioned during a designated time period of the Show. All money that is earned on each entry will go directly back to the school classroom that entered it.
- If any contestant engages in conduct viewed by the Home Show Committee to be “un-sportsman like”, then the contestant will be permanently disqualified from the Contest. Anyone representing their school shall conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times. “Anyone” is defined as student, parent or guardian of student, siblings, teachers, etc.